BKCruizers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA

+11
Smiff
stinky pinky
sploval53
mrclean
VOLKSWAGENUT
Tanbug
Fifty - Five
Ann Mezger
Cave Man
overspray
southeastvw
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 Empty Re: Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA

Post  Smiff Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:03 pm

I'm not sure who that guy was at the line...it wasn't the regular guy. I will tell you that you would be hard pressed to find better track owners than Ed and Dorothy Swearingen.
Smiff
Smiff
Mr race daddy

http://www.ASCRacing.net

Back to top Go down

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 Empty Re: Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:08 pm

I had a great time , I hate that Mike had some issues . Never been on the track before and loved it , I will be back on the track again. Hopefully with more HP!
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  Smiff Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:10 pm

petevw wrote:

Even got a pic of the car on the rollers in Hot VW's! BUT....... in the caption Kevin (Smiff), got the mention for my car. Was a great day for him, as he's really a superbeetle lover deep inside! Razz

Pete ???? I had nothing to do with Mike's issues @ the track...... so there no reason to cut me like that Shocked lol!
Smiff
Smiff
Mr race daddy

http://www.ASCRacing.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ann Mezger Thu 12 Mar 2009, 12:52 am

Mike - Sorry to hear you had a problem with being timed out. I wasn't in the immediate area when it happened, but knowing a little something about drag racing I would like to offer a bit of unbiased advice / criticism. Being put "on the clock" & getting DQ'd for not being able to start is an NHRA regulation rule. Every NHRA sanctioned track operates under the same regulations, procedures, & standards during elimination rounds. Silver Dollar runs the same auto start timing system used at most NHRA facility - if you trip the sensors, you are on the clock. If you can't start / stage the car, you time out & you're disqualified. That's not a Silver Dollar Raceway only rule - that's NHRA rules & guidelines. Shitty as it may be, that's how racing goes. I watched the same thing happen to Ron Lummus a few years ago when he traveled 3500 miles to race IDRC at Atco, NJ. His ignition system failed & he was put on the clock. About 5 seconds after his time was up, he got it started. Sucked for Ron cause he didn't get a 2nd chance, but Pepe Loco took the win any way he could get it. Even John Force has been DQ'd on a no-start. It happens. That said, short of asking the track to break the rules & give you a 2nd chance, there is nothing Keith, Kathy, or anyone else could have done for you & if the track DID break the rules, how fair would it be to the other guy? (It wouldn't) The fact is, sooner or later we all have a shit day at the track. You may not be happy with the way your day went, but you can't blame anyone else for your car not being able to start with in the regulated time. I hope that you understand that a little better now that you've had time to cool down because unless you do, you'll have problems at every facility you run the car & I would hate to see you give up racing. Your car is one of the MOST consistant I've ever seen. Bracket racing isn't my 'thing', but you're great at it & seem to really enjoy it as much as we (Kurt & I) enjoy pushing a car to it's limits through the 1/4 .............. it would be a real shame for you to hold a grudge over something like this that no one had any control over.

Ann Mezger

Back to top Go down

Post  massIVe 79 vert Thu 12 Mar 2009, 6:01 pm

Just like anything else, it's hard to please ALL the people ALL the time. I think if some level-headed conversation between the sponsor/promoter and the unhappy party could take place, maybe something constructive could come of it all and the event could be better from everyone involved the next time around. Let Kathy/Keith know your concerns and suggestions...like she said, it is very hard for them to be everywhere, all the time during one of these events. Promoters don't always know what's going on every second....talk to them....tell them your concerns...they can't fix it when they don't know it's broke.
massIVe 79 vert
massIVe 79 vert

Back to top Go down

Post  petevw Thu 12 Mar 2009, 7:22 pm

Ann, Jake, Kathy, well said!

Smiff wrote:
Pete ???? I had nothing to do with Mike's issues @ the track...... so there no reason to cut me like that Shocked lol!

Laughing Trying to sway you........... If you ever have thoughts of getting rid of your '56, i have dibs! Love that car!

later,
Pete

petevw

Back to top Go down

Post  Fifty - Five Thu 12 Mar 2009, 8:56 pm

Sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, I dont have the net at the house right now so I have to beg net time. My problem is not with being counted out. I fully understand that rule. My problem comes when the track is stacking cars 3 deep when like there were 200 cars in eliminations when in fact there were 12 cars in two classes combined. And then getting counted out because my car wasn't in the staging lane but midway between the burnout box and the staging lane. I dont think anybody that wasn't right there is understanding how long I had to wait before I could pull to the burnout box after I was told to come out of the staging lane by the track official. That is where I have the problem.
Fifty - Five
Fifty - Five
super tender

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Thu 12 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm

Fifty - Five wrote:Sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, I dont have the net at the house right now so I have to beg net time. My problem is not with being counted out. I fully understand that rule. My problem comes when the track is stacking cars 3 deep when like there were 200 cars in eliminations when in fact there were 12 cars in two classes combined. And then getting counted out because my car wasn't in the staging lane but midway between the burnout box and the staging lane. I dont think anybody that wasn't right there is understanding how long I had to wait before I could pull to the burnout box after I was told to come out of the staging lane by the track official. That is where I have the problem.

I came up on the situation at the end, tring to help with your car , you acctually where nowhere near the water box My car was first in line in lane 1 and your back bumper was about 15 feet infront of mine.There was no real reason for being staged so early . In my newbie only ran 3 runs down the track opinion. lol!
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Fri 13 Mar 2009, 12:19 am

OK , That is worded a lil more understanding.. I can't type what I'm thinking.. I just get bent outa shape because Bum wouldn't listen to a member before talking to him like sheet.... scratch scratch scratch drunken
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Ann Mezger Fri 13 Mar 2009, 1:49 pm

Fifty - Five wrote:Sorry it has taken so long to get back on here, I dont have the net at the house right now so I have to beg net time. My problem is not with being counted out. I fully understand that rule. My problem comes when the track is stacking cars 3 deep when like there were 200 cars in eliminations when in fact there were 12 cars in two classes combined. And then getting counted out because my car wasn't in the staging lane but midway between the burnout box and the staging lane. I dont think anybody that wasn't right there is understanding how long I had to wait before I could pull to the burnout box after I was told to come out of the staging lane by the track official. That is where I have the problem.

I understand fully & I can see where you're comming from, however NHRA regulations are what they are & regardless of how long you waited, you DID pull forward from the staging lanes. Once you move past that line, you are '100% ready to go' whether or not you've gotten to the water box or started your car. According to the rules / standard NHRA procedure, the track made the right call.

Now with that in mind, I will say this. ........I agree that they were rushing cars all day & it sucked for drivers considering the low car count and it sucked for anyone trying to get pictures / video of both the burnout & the run. The only thing I can offer is this - Once you hit the staging lanes, you're supposed to be 100% ready to run no matter what. In the future if you see that they are pushing the cars too fast, say something to the track official at the staging lanes line. If he ignores your request to slow it own / stop stacking cars, DO NOT pull forward & make sure your opponent doesn't either. It takes 2 to hold up / slow a race, 1 to win it. If 1 car is ready, the other WILL get put on the clock like you did. If you know you have an issue, fix it in the pits. If you can't fix it, pray. Other than that, there's nothing you can do.

Ann Mezger

Back to top Go down

Post  Fifty - Five Fri 13 Mar 2009, 6:22 pm

Ann Mezger wrote:

I understand fully & I can see where you're comming from, however NHRA regulations are what they are & regardless of how long you waited, you DID pull forward from the staging lanes. Once you move past that line, you are '100% ready to go' whether or not you've gotten to the water box or started your car. According to the rules / standard NHRA procedure, the track made the right call.

Now with that in mind, I will say this. ........I agree that they were rushing cars all day & it sucked for drivers considering the low car count and it sucked for anyone trying to get pictures / video of both the burnout & the run. The only thing I can offer is this - Once you hit the staging lanes, you're supposed to be 100% ready to run no matter what. In the future if you see that they are pushing the cars too fast, say something to the track official at the staging lanes line. If he ignores your request to slow it own / stop stacking cars, DO NOT pull forward & make sure your opponent doesn't either. It takes 2 to hold up / slow a race, 1 to win it. If 1 car is ready, the other WILL get put on the clock like you did. If you know you have an issue, fix it in the pits. If you can't fix it, pray. Other than that, there's nothing you can do.

Look for me to be behind the yellow line until I can take the burnout box at any race I attend from now on and WILL say something about rushing the cars in the drivers meeting.

I also need to apologize to Kathy and anyone else who witnessed me coming through the pits. Sorry 'bout that. I was driving to fast.

overspray wrote:OK , That is worded a lil more understanding.. I can't type what I'm thinking.. I just get bent outa shape because Bum wouldn't listen to a member before talking to him like sheet.... scratch scratch scratch drunken

Yeah that was B.S. after I loaded my car and Bill handed me my entry fee back I went looking for Kathy to give it back to her. I found both her and Keith and gave the money back to Kathy. I made passes in eliminations so I got what I paid for (would have liked to return the B.S., that wasnt on the sign up sheet). Then tried getting what had happened through to Keith and all he could talk about was when he was racing this and running two series in one year that and how much money he spent on fuel to go racing and how much he spent on this and how he would rather be racing than running the show. Kim was right there with me to hear it and was like WTF did that have to do with your issue when we walked away. I'm not looking for sympathay or to have my nuts coddled, I just wanted it to be out there what happened and why I won't be there next year. I think when everything was going down it could have been handled ALOT differently!!!!! by both sides.
Fifty - Five
Fifty - Five
super tender

Back to top Go down

Post  southeastvw Mon 16 Mar 2009, 4:50 pm

Yeah that was B.S. after I loaded my car and Bill handed me my entry fee back I went looking for Kathy to give it back to her. I found both her and Keith and gave the money back to Kathy. I made passes in eliminations so I got what I paid for (would have liked to return the B.S., that wasnt on the sign up sheet). Then tried getting what had happened through to Keith and all he could talk about was when he was racing this and running two series in one year that and how much money he spent on fuel to go racing and how much he spent on this and how he would rather be racing than running the show. Kim was right there with me to hear it and was like WTF did that have to do with your issue when we walked away. I'm not looking for sympathay or to have my nuts coddled, I just wanted it to be out there what happened and why I won't be there next year. I think when everything was going down it could have been handled ALOT differently!!!!! by both sides.

Mike
I was also standing there when you were speaking with Keith in the show area about what had happened. At that point, what was done was done, the track had made the decision and there was nothing else that could have been done. Keith was just Generally talking to you about stuff that can happen at tracks that the racers have no control over and the cost that it takes to get there. Like is has said things happen, we get over it and go on with life. About Keith missing the racing, that is true, but he & I would much rather see EVERYONE have a place that they can go to Race, show and swap with all your VW Friends.
What do you think that Keith and I could have done to make it better for you????
southeastvw
southeastvw

http://www.kandlmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fifty - Five Tue 17 Mar 2009, 12:17 am

southeastvw wrote:

Mike
I was also standing there when you were speaking with Keith in the show area about what had happened. At that point, what was done was done, the track had made the decision and there was nothing else that could have been done. Keith was just Generally talking to you about stuff that can happen at tracks that the racers have no control over and the cost that it takes to get there. Like is has said things happen, we get over it and go on with life. About Keith missing the racing, that is true, but he & I would much rather see EVERYONE have a place that they can go to Race, show and swap with all your VW Friends.
What do you think that Keith and I could have done to make it better for you????

Yeah the track had done it's thing and my car was on the trailer at that point, I wasn't understanding why we were talking about his racing past when I still had issues at hand. But you know what, it's over, it's done. That's the past, I'll be at Farmington, racing.

Here's a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.
Maybe there should be a SEVWA official at the starting line or in the tower during ALL elimination runs so if there is a problem its not "racer vs track crew" but the race promoter seeing everything go down and not having to get what happened second hand. I know you and Keith have your hands full at these events, but if he or someone else appointed by the SEVWA was there at the starting line he would have seen everything go down and could have seen where I was coming from rather than coming up on the tail end of the issue.
Fifty - Five
Fifty - Five
super tender

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Tue 17 Mar 2009, 8:48 am

55= Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 789505
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  southeastvw Tue 17 Mar 2009, 11:21 am

Yeah the track had done it's thing and my car was on the trailer at that point, I wasn't understanding why we were talking about his racing past when I still had issues at hand. But you know what, it's over, it's done. That's the past, I'll be at Farmington, racing.

Here's a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.
Maybe there should be a SEVWA official at the starting line or in the tower during ALL elimination runs so if there is a problem its not "racer vs track crew" but the race promoter seeing everything go down and not having to get what happened second hand. I know you and Keith have your hands full at these events, but if he or someone else appointed by the SEVWA was there at the starting line he would have seen everything go down and could have seen where I was coming from rather than coming up on the tail end of the issue.

That is where Keith usually is and it was unfortunate that he wasn't there when something did happen to see it. Things happen and if we weren't there to see it, we don't know what to look for in the future to resolve the problem unless someone speaks up and tells us about it. Whether it be show or race and I know I ask all the time for people to give us comments or sugguestions after each event, which we never seem to get any response at all. We are all in this for the VW Hobby, so we can all make it better for everyone so we can keep it going for the future.

We shall see you at Farmington!
southeastvw
southeastvw

http://www.kandlmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Major62 Fri 27 Mar 2009, 12:28 am

Some of the line up shots:

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 Dsc_0013

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 Dsc_0010

Silver Dollar Showdown #8 March 8 in GA - Page 3 Dsc_0012
Major62
Major62
Class 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3