BKCruizers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

groundlevelbert finally here...

+11
Tanbug
massIVe 79 vert
JEFF KYLE
Mountain Power House
BB_1965
overspray
Noh2o
VOLKSWAGENUT
TURBO
Hawkins
groundlevelbert
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

groundlevelbert finally here... Empty groundlevelbert finally here...

Post  groundlevelbert Fri 13 Aug 2010, 6:04 pm

hey all...

applied for an account shortly after bugapaluza back in april and was finally activated this afternoon...

65 type 1...body off pan resto...powdercoat pan and suspension components...fontana grey with rick harris pinstripes...2275cc with DRD Level 7s and 48IDAs...chrome fuchs and airkewld bad series brakes...

thanks for letting me hang...

groundlevelbert
franklin, tennessee

groundlevelbert finally here... Volksw11

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

groundlevelbert finally here... Empty Re: groundlevelbert finally here...

Post  Hawkins Sat 14 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

that is a sweet big window!
Hawkins
Hawkins
super newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 15 Aug 2010, 12:00 am

thanks...several have told me that it needs to drop, but i'm pretty happy with the stance...i slammed
them back in the 80s and bent more front fenders and ripped off more quiet packs than i can remember...

this car is stock height in the rear with 16x7s and only runs drop spindles on the front with a stock
beam and 145s...i never have clearance issues and it rides like stock...i'm an old man now and it suits
me just fine...

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  TURBO Sun 15 Aug 2010, 11:23 am

sweet car man
TURBO
TURBO
MR hub caps

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Sun 15 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm

Very clean ride. have seen it at the show. You got robbed Best of show, by peanut butter and jelly. You coming up to CYW fall. Im sure maybe 2 of us " might " be there. Cool
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  Noh2o Sun 15 Aug 2010, 8:58 pm

are you planning on making it to Eureka ?
we talked about it at BAP.

Noh2o

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 15 Aug 2010, 9:33 pm

not sure what i am doing this fall...my kids are both in sports and one of them just started high school,
so i know i'm going to be committed to football friday nights and other stuff, but i'm going to get out
as much as i can...

planning on showing up at bug blast in birmingham in a couple of weeks--got 'best of' there last year...
probably going to do vws over memphis as well...i showed last fall at CYW and basically got shut out on
any of the big awards...it's tough to travel almost 300 miles for a top 75 plaque...

when is eureka? that's pretty soon, isn't it?

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 15 Aug 2010, 9:39 pm

VOLKSWAGENUT wrote:Very clean ride. have seen it at the show. You got robbed Best of show, by peanut butter and jelly. You coming up to CYW fall. Im sure maybe 2 of us " might " be there. Cool

PBJ...that's pretty funny...the 58-67 custom class was probably the most competitive class at BAP this year...
ended up with a 3rd in the class--my worst outing ever...but i took home 'best paint'...i won 1st in class the previous
year and the car wasn't completely finished yet...

PBJ is going to difficult to beat...it's just SO over the top with the leather wrapped wheels and the engraved velocity
stacks...there's a lot of 'wow' factor with that car at first glance...

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Sun 15 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

groundlevelbert wrote:
VOLKSWAGENUT wrote:Very clean ride. have seen it at the show. You got robbed Best of show, by peanut butter and jelly. You coming up to CYW fall. Im sure maybe 2 of us " might " be there. Cool

PBJ...that's pretty funny...the 58-67 custom class was probably the most competitive class at BAP this year...
ended up with a 3rd in the class--my worst outing ever...but i took home 'best paint'...i won 1st in class the previous
year and the car wasn't completely finished yet...

PBJ is going to difficult to beat...it's just SO over the top with the leather wrapped wheels and the engraved velocity

Yeah , thats what we where talking about , Cars like that have so much going on that its distracting . So it really is hard to notice flaws and such. Not to say its not a nice car but IMO its not the best car that was there.

Welcome to the site. See you at the shows man. Cool

When is the memphis show ? have thought about doing it a few times but its a pretty good haul.

Last edited by VOLKSWAGENUT on Sun 15 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  TURBO Sun 15 Aug 2010, 10:31 pm

If I drive 300 miles I'm going to hang out with friends and have fun screw the trophy that don't mean anything scratch
TURBO
TURBO
MR hub caps

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Sun 15 Aug 2010, 10:33 pm

TURBO wrote:If I drive 300 miles I'm going to hang out with friends and have fun screw the trophy that don't mean anything scratch

So what month is your car in??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol! lol!
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Mon 16 Aug 2010, 8:16 pm

I activated you.. for some reason 6 people went into inactivated.. sorry !

Sweet car !
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  BB_1965 Tue 24 Aug 2010, 10:43 pm

VOLKSWAGENUT wrote:
TURBO wrote:If I drive 300 miles I'm going to hang out with friends and have fun screw the trophy that don't mean anything scratch

So what month is your car in??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol! lol!

cheers Laughing Laughing cheers Thats funny !
BB_1965
BB_1965
slick

http://gritsvw.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Power House Tue 24 Aug 2010, 11:31 pm

Yeah.. when I saw it WOW was exactly what I said to myself...

i showed last fall at CYW and basically got shut out on
any of the big awards...it's tough to travel almost 300 miles for a top 75 plaque...

Whats "tough" is someone spending 10, 20 or 30,000 bucks to build a car as well as untold hundreds of hours of time to fetch a 5 dollar plastic trophy thats generally made in China and falls apart in 6 months.

The "Return on investment" economics don't add up on that one much to me...

Here is a synopsis:
Cost to build VW- 15K+
Time put into project- Months or years
Cost of enclosed trailer to haul the "Princess" in- 5K+
Cost of "watercooled piece of crap" to tow said trailer with for hauling the "Princess"- 25K+
Cost of fuel for said "watercooled piece of crap"- 175 bucks +/-
Cost of Hotel room at the show site- 129.99/ night
Cost of Show entry, cleaning gear to polish the "Princess" and incidentals- 100 bucks

Value of seeing the look on the face of the Owner of the Princess when he doesn't win his 5 dollar trophy at the show- PRICELESS!!

BTW- Lots of show organizers are going to top 40, 50 or 75 shows to increase the comraderie of the events and to keep the "trophy hounds" at home... They get tired of hearing people whine about not winning that 5 dollar trophy! Hell I have seen fights over a 5 dollar trophy and have seen one thrown across the ground at CYW when someone didn't get his "princess" recognized the way he wanted..

Mountain Power House
Mountain Power House

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Wed 25 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm

Your a total jerk!

Laughing Laughing
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Power House Thu 26 Aug 2010, 12:25 am

VOLKSWAGENUT wrote:Your a total jerk!

Laughing Laughing

I expected the term "asshole"!

People won't like to be reminded of the facts associated with the costs of those 5 dollar trophies...

Cars are for driving.. Drive one 300 miles to a show, have fun getting there, being there and driving home..
But thats just the opinion of a self confessed asshole with a wall full of trophies that are about as worthless as tits on a boar hog.
Mountain Power House
Mountain Power House

Back to top Go down

Post  JEFF KYLE Thu 26 Aug 2010, 9:25 am

Cool Where do you get these $5 trophies?....ours cost $12....LOL
How bout we give "Participation" ones like in Little League...so everyone's a winner...lol
I agree with Jake on the $$ invested...the only way all that's an investment,is if the car is your "calling card" for your biz.
Go to any Hot Rod show and all the booths have a "company car" on display.
JEFF KYLE
JEFF KYLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Power House Thu 26 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

Yeah... Just wait till the "Everybody gets a trophy" generation begins taking positions to lead business and politics in this country... You think its screwed now, just wait till people who have never been told that they sucked start being disappointed! Hell they'll be crying on TV..

Failure and disappointment are part of life, if people don't learn that early on they'll never be able to handle it later.

Anyway, some people go after the trophy.. When I have my show in June 2011 there will be no trophies and it'll be something similar to a top 25, hopefully everyone that comes will be coming for the right reasons.

As far as having a "company car" on display, when we take Beth's car to shows there is no signage on it that says "Aircooled Technology" at all, just one decal on the engine. We go to the shows to hang out and be part of the scene, even though I own a business in the industry its not flaunted, or even mentioned on the vehicle interior or exterior... I've been getting a return on the investment it took to build that car for the past 3 years of driving it, over 3K miles in the last two months alone cruising in 98F heat with the A/C rolling is so damn nice while the Dells bark in the engine bay to a tune thats directed by a roller cam and lifters :-)
Its now a driver, it probably won't ever see a show again.
Mountain Power House
Mountain Power House

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 29 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

um...wow...what can i say?

how about i went to birmingham bug blast yesterday and i can attest to the fact that the
'best of show' award is probably closer to $18--because i brought it home with me...

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Sun 29 Aug 2010, 1:37 pm

groundlevelbert wrote:um...wow...what can i say?

how about i went to birmingham bug blast yesterday and i can attest to the fact that the
'best of show' award is probably closer to $18--because i brought it home with me...

Congrats man.

I look forward to jakes show , cause its a very cool ride over the mountain from my house. I have gotten a few trophies in my day and its cool , but I sold that car to get me a driver and that is what im doing at this point in time. . have not drove anything but Herb all weekend. Cool

I guess to each his own . thats what make the world go round. Very Happy

VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 29 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

it's all good...i guess i would just rather people say 'that's not my thing' instead of going on a rant
about someone else's preference while trying to defend their own opposite viewpoint...for the most part,
people are fairly opinionated about 'show' or 'go' and your rant isn't going to change anyone's viewpoint--
it's just going to make you look like an ass...

that being said, i do drive my car occassionally, but i have put a great deal of effort into it and i have
a great deal of pride in the quality of workmanship and i do enjoy the acknowledgement of a job well
done...

thanks for having me on the forum...such a warm welcome...

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Power House Sun 29 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

If your idea of having fun is going for the trophy, well thats fine because its your car and your money..
Just don't take the fun out of it for everyone else if you don't win..

Don't consider my rant a welcome from the BK, it was just a random message from someone who enjoys using a VW in the way it was intended.
Mountain Power House
Mountain Power House

Back to top Go down

Post  groundlevelbert Sun 29 Aug 2010, 4:34 pm

i'm a bit confused...

in what way am i taking the fun out of it for YOU if i don't win? i made one BRIEF comment regarding the fact
that i'm not interested in the travel and expense involved in participating in a top 75 show...in the mid 80s, i
drove a nice '67 type 1 that was my only mode of transportation--hot or cold, wet or dry, in scorching heat or
through a foot of snow--and sometimes it totally sucked...now, i make really good money, built the car
that i wanted to 25 years ago, and don't have to drive it everyday...i have a really nice truck and a really
nice trailer to haul it around in when the need arises--and i'm pretty sure there are a few BK guys that do the same...

but since you refuse to drop it, i will go ahead and say that, personally, i think top 20 or top 75 shows are LAME...
they encourage the attendance of mediocre to average cars...if i'm going to pay a $20 entry fee, i want the organizer to make an EFFORT to JUDGE my car and MY efforts in presenting it--and not just take a quick glance as they walk past, which is the case at CYW and most other top 20 or whatever shows...i can stay home and get that same experience at a local cruise-in for FREE...

and by the way, i am using my VW in the way that it was intended--i'm ENJOYING it...so try not to be a hater, jake...

groundlevelbert

Back to top Go down

Post  massIVe 79 vert Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:49 pm

Wow...fresh meat is tender around here lol!

massIVe 79 vert
massIVe 79 vert

Back to top Go down

Post  TURBO Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

groundlevelbert wrote:um...wow...what can i say?

I'm happy for you man about 400 more best of shows and that car is paid for cheers
TURBO
TURBO
MR hub caps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next