BKCruizers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bugdust...

+14
Tanbug
yellow73
Cave Man
peacebug
sploval53
WALKER
POKER
VOLKSWAGENUT
overspray
Mohawk
mrclean
Thang
Fifty - Five
bugdust
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

bugdust... - Page 3 Empty Re: bugdust...

Post  cousin of a porsche Mon 04 May 2009, 3:29 pm

Fifty - Five wrote:The Pintostang bugdust... - Page 3 109954

Hey I had a Pinto. Till it got hit in the back (BOOM). I think my dad was trying to get rid of me. Didn't work bugdust... - Page 3 454340
cousin of a porsche
cousin of a porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  cousin of a porsche Mon 04 May 2009, 3:39 pm

Don't change the burg to a hex linkage unless you want to give it to me. Hey I think I have a hex bar that I would gladly trade you.
cousin of a porsche
cousin of a porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Mon 04 May 2009, 5:01 pm

bugdust wrote:

Next up...lowering, hex bar linkage and new heads...maybe merged header.

narrow the beam Smile
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Mon 04 May 2009, 9:54 pm

VOLKSWAGENUT wrote:
bugdust wrote:

Next up...lowering, hex bar linkage and new heads...maybe merged header.

narrow the beam Smile

Ditto...... like 5 or 6 inches..... cheers shifting
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Mon 04 May 2009, 11:27 pm

It's getting a 4" beam with drop spindles and 1 outer spline this week if all goes well. I'm not slamming it so that will be all it needs. My last 67 had a 6" beam, 165/45s and no headlight buckets, two splines in the rear. I'm over that.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the Berg linkage. I had a hex-bar linkage on a 1776 with Dell'Orto 45s and had no problems. I've had a few with the Berg. It mounts to the shroud (thin sheetmetal) which I don't care for. When I bought the car it had a Chinese (Taiwan?) generator strap that kept coming loose so the throttles would open up once the shroud moved. I took care of that issue. Now, I'm running an aftermarket 36hp doghouse shroud and I drilled the mounting holes in line with the generator backing plate bolts. guess what, my shroud sits a little crooked so the linkage was almost 3/4" lower on the left side. I hated having to redrill holes in a fresh painted shroud and tweaking the linkage to get it almost right. I know these are not problems with the Berg linkage itself but they are problems I wouldn't have to deal with with the hex-bar linkage. I ended up having to trim the rods and now I don't have full throttle movement, which isn't really a bad thing. Very Happy What do you want for the hex-bar linkage?

I had a 71 Pinto back in the 80s. I loved that car!

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountain Power House Mon 04 May 2009, 11:57 pm

Berg linkage makes no sense to me..
It takes the most vibratory part of the engine,(fan shroud) mounts an assembly to that and then transmits the harmonics right to the throttle shafts.. This wears the shafts and shakes the fuel in the float bowls, generally causing them to dribble fuel down the carbs, making for an untunable engine..

There's one laying out back in the pasture behind my shop where I threw it 15 years ago when it finally pissed me off.. If anyone wants it just go dig it up, but you'll have to repair the .223 caliber bullet holes it has through the mount bar before you can use it...
Mountain Power House
Mountain Power House

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cousin of a porsche Tue 05 May 2009, 12:38 pm

I guess you killed it. I'll look for the linkage and make sure all the parts are there.
cousin of a porsche
cousin of a porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Fri 08 May 2009, 8:42 pm

Well, my 67 is now down in the back and has a 4" beam and drop spindles in the front. I traded the stock tires/wheels off the 67 for the beam drum-to-drum, spindles and all. Well...the beam is not quite right.
bugdust... - Page 3 001-4
bugdust... - Page 3 005-5
bugdust... - Page 3 004-3

You can see in this pic that the left front wheel is cambered out at the top.
bugdust... - Page 3 007-1
I jacked it up and put the concentric adjusters facing forward (they were both wrong) but it didn't fix it. The car has too much toe-in and only turns left a little, but turns right quite a bit. The tie-rods are obviously out of whack. I had a buddy put it all in since I was already helping another buddy do his ghia...trying to get ready for the Jax GTG tomorrow. I don't know what happened but I'm going to fix it all next week. It can be driven tomorrow but after that it has to come apart again. :yelling: I'd like to mess with it tonight but my wife is working and I have the kids. Plus, I've been in the shop most of the day...I'm ready to kick back a little.

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Fri 08 May 2009, 10:07 pm

Thats a nice looking 67 , Im not much on 67s but they really look good with BRMs. My freind Tim had a Tan 67 like that back in high school.
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  Kx3 Fri 08 May 2009, 10:13 pm

I agree Nut , not abig fan of 67's but I like this one ....... Think its the color and the BRM's
Kx3
Kx3
super tender

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Fri 08 May 2009, 10:24 pm

I love 67s; this is the fourth 67 I've had as a daily-driver and the fifth that I've owned. They may not have the cool factor of the early cars but they are great drivers.

I'm getting up early to try to get the steering sorted out before heading to the Jax Bch. thing. I centered the steering (center of lock-to-lock) and the right tire is almost straight and the left is toed in a lot. I didn't measure it but I'm betting it is 1-1/2" or so! I may have to take the short tie-rod off in the morning and shorten it. I hate redoing someone elses's screw up. That's why I usually do my own stuff.

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Fri 08 May 2009, 10:45 pm

X2
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Fri 08 May 2009, 11:44 pm

I went back out and did a little investigating. I adjusted the camber on the left front again. It was still off even though I messed with it earlier. I centered the steering by going lock-to-lock with the steering wheel. The right wheel is toe-ed out slightly maybe. I didn't actually measure it but I'd bet the left front was toed-in about 1-1/2". I got to looking and the short tie-rod wasn't even narrowed, both ends were just adjusted all the way in! I took the tie-rod off and I will shorten it in the morning. I may raise the front a little while I'm under there.

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Sat 09 May 2009, 12:31 pm

Sounds like the guy that did the tie rods need some good old fashion ragging. Stop when you see the lip quiver. Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Sun 10 May 2009, 9:51 am

I did the samething on the 66... Embarassed Embarassed
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  cousin of a porsche Tue 12 May 2009, 1:52 pm

67's rule Very Happy
cousin of a porsche
cousin of a porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  Kx3 Tue 12 May 2009, 4:22 pm

cousin of a porsche wrote:67's rule Very Happy

67's Drool ........... bugdust... - Page 3 191873
Kx3
Kx3
super tender

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Tue 12 May 2009, 5:15 pm

Kx3 wrote:
cousin of a porsche wrote:67's rule Very Happy

67's Drool ........... bugdust... - Page 3 191873

ROFLMBKAO !!!! What a Face
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  VOLKSWAGENUT Tue 12 May 2009, 8:31 pm

overspray wrote:I did the samething on the 66... Embarassed Embarassed

Laughing
VOLKSWAGENUT
VOLKSWAGENUT
I ruined the club

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Sat 11 Jul 2009, 12:27 am

It has been a while since I posted here. I haven't done much to any of the VWs. I have been having issues with my back again and got another epidural steroid injection a couple of weeks ago. I have to start physical therapy as soon as I set it up. Anyway...

The 67 - fried the generator I think. the light stays on and the battery doesn't charge. It happened about three weeks ago and I haven't even looked into it. the right side intake is a little loose as well. It is just sitting right now. I have yard work to do this weekend so maybe I'll work on it next week??

The 64 - officially on hold. You may recall I "borrowed" all the new brake parts off it for my 62 vert (that I subsequently sold). I bought all new parts again but I still have to blast the backing plates and put it all back together. I made a cart out of an old go cart frame and sat the pan on it and rolled it outside and covered it with a tarp. It is coated with Masterseries so it should be fine. The chassis black isn't UV resistant so I have it covered. The body is rough and I have cut pieces out of the roof for another project. I may put an entire "new" roof on it.

The 62 ragtop - Nothing happening on this one right now. I broke out the DA and did a little sanding on it but nothing to write about (yet here I am)

The 61 parts car turned chop top project - I bought this for the roof clip for the 64 but decided to try my hand at a volksrod. I have a plan for a really cool car but I don't know if this will be it. My skills aren't what I would like them to be but I am learning.
The plan (except I may run fenders now and a different color)
bugdust... - Page 3 FullRag

The parts car
bugdust... - Page 3 61bug001

...turned chop top
bugdust... - Page 3 002-5
bugdust... - Page 3 005-5

It is a little further along now but not much.

The 59 body shell - I also picked up a very rough 59 body shell and pan...literally. It has nothing else! The later hacked in heater channels broke in half when we picked the body up. It will probably get cut up (roof clip for the 64, dash for the 62)

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Tue 11 Aug 2009, 10:46 pm

I haven't done much to the chop top.

started cleaning off the 1/4" thick undercoating
bugdust... - Page 3 013-3

added a few filler pieces after chopping the windshield an extra inch
bugdust... - Page 3 008-6

this is where it starts to get interesting
bugdust... - Page 3 013-4

slicing the second ragtop clip
bugdust... - Page 3 014-3

more of a profile shot
bugdust... - Page 3 001-11

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Tue 11 Aug 2009, 11:50 pm

Sad to see a ragtop clip trashed that could go into a nice car......
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohawk Wed 12 Aug 2009, 6:15 am

overspray wrote:Sad to see a ragtop clip trashed that could go into a nice car......

I agree with you, here in Sweden is it hard to get any roofs now and you slice it up bugdust... - Page 3 191873
Mohawk
Mohawk

http://mohawk-vw.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bugdust Wed 12 Aug 2009, 7:39 am

overspray wrote:Sad to see a ragtop clip trashed that could go into a nice car......

It's just sheetmetal people. I'm actually using two complete ragtop clips and pieces from a third one. Hopefully it will be a nice car when I'm finished with it. I'm sure it will end up on the abortions thread on thesamba but who cares, I'll like it. I'm using parts of two roofs, three ragtop clips, at least six 58-64 doors (yes, I cut up an icepick door the other day), a couple hoods, a few fenders and who knows what else. But, other than the ragtop clips, the rest is all junk that no one wanted, including the car itself.

It was all for sale when I bought it. If you passed on the ragtop clips then don't be mad at me because I bought them. I understand this isn't a BKC-style build so I won't post any more updates here.

How about a picture of my cookie-cutter 67? Sleep Very Happy
bugdust... - Page 3 054-1

bugdust

Back to top Go down

Post  overspray Wed 12 Aug 2009, 8:34 am

Tender are we ???
overspray
overspray
Papa bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum